Thursday 28 December 2017

Drosera schizandra

Today I thought I'd post about my drosera schizandra . I've read its a difficult one to grow
but I'm not having a problem with mine. I've accidentally grown  it in the right conditions .
 From my experience it needs low light, very high humidity and well drained very light
mix. I use 50 % perlite and 50% peat moss. Mine is at about 20 degrees - 25 degrees most of the time.
I don't fertilise or feed it. I placed a dead fly in with it thinking to feed it, and it was almost
a deadly mistake. It began to have a fungal problem and the leaves began to full apart.
I used the only anti fungal chemical spray  I had that I have used on my nepenthes
 before ,e.g Rose Gun
by Yates . I sprayed it once and left it. Slowly it has recovered . Before that, I had cut off two plants
that have grown from the roots of this plant and they are developing really well with new leaves.
The leaves on the original plant that had come apart I left in with it as the fungus had gone,
and partly buried them. Now there are new plantlets coming up from them. Exciting.
 
 

No comments: