Wednesday 6 March 2013

Making bias pants


draping around the pants pattern
I was intrigued about the how to make bias pants in the latest threads no 166
and I had a few days spare to try.
I like to form in my mind how a project will work but in this one I went completely blind.
the pouch
Almost Finished
I didn't get it quite right.
I got lost after step 2 . I got to the canoe and I got confused about the instructions I sewed the y seams how I thought it should go .
How should I sew C the bias seam ?
I looked at step 5 and I thought I sewed it correctly and I cut the tubes but it didn't seem to me
to be long enough so I ripped the c bias seam apart . When I did that I recognised the shape
as a bias tube when you make your own bias binding.
I then decided to wrap the bias tube around the halved paper pattern as that should be the shape I'm looking for.. and I did with both.
This means I sewed them along the bias seams not easy.
As a result of sewing them this way I found the seams go the same way not as intended in the article.So it looks odd but as its patterned fabric not so bad.
I think I should have stretched the bias seams first before I sewed them , but this was an experiment.
Placing the crotch was interesting , I measured for my crotch and my seat rise and its difficult as really you can put it anywhere as its a tube and placing one leg inside the other I felt I was just guessing for placement so the seams are weird on the pants I made
They fit very well and are very comfortable but not strong . Good for around the house I'll have to make another.
The different colours of the pictures is the difference between a good camera and my mobile phone.
The real colour is the purple 
I haven't finished the hems yet they're just overlocked.
I've started looking at old copies of threads for bias tubes.

1 comment:

Kay said...

I have been studying the original article in Threads magazine. Can you you help explain where to mark point "c" on the fabric?